Monday, June 29, 2009

We Meet – A Closer Look

As I mentioned last time, The Canadian Gal and I met while playing one of those Facebook games in which you buy and sell each other. I bought her and she started the email exchange with this:

Why ever would you buy a complete stranger’s photo without saying hi.???
:)

I replied thusly:

Hello Canadian Gal,


Mostly because I don't want to come off as Creepy-Internet Guy. (Or as an American who has trouble minding his own business -- you know how we are.)


Now, if someone buys me I send off a little blurb about what a bargain I am, what a good choice they've made, and brag on my abilities to dig things out from beneath the fridge.


How is everything in British Columbia today? It's cold here with some ice and snow -- though I hesitate to complain as I imagine you get hit by it a little harder than we do.

There is a lot of truth in the bit about not wanting to come off as Creepy Internet Guy. I was pretty sure women got hit on all the time (you don’t have to look to far in the blogospshere to find stories of guys saying off-the-wall things to women in on-line forums) and I didn’t want to be put into that lot. Also, I’m a bit shy. And I was still hurting from my divorce, if I’m to be totally honest.

(But, then again, if I were to have been totally honest, in that email I’d have included a blurb about how I won’t dig things out from under a fridge if I suspect there might be a spider beneath it.)

We continued this way for a bit, I recall in one mail she reminded me that I’d never given her an answer as to why I was buying photos of strange women. I sent this reply into the ether:

Why did I buy you? Well, as much as I'd like to say it's because Canadians hold their value well and are a good investment, it was a bit more shallow than that. I was buying attractive women; brunettes are one of my three favorite groups.

She has been kind enough to never let me forget that last sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment