Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Proposal

“Do you think my mother should get married again?” It was The Canadian Gal’s six-year-old; she drew the words slowly and with genuine curiosity.

“I don’t know,” I said, trying to be playful, “what do you think? Should your mother get married again?’

“I think she should get married again,” she said, giving her mother and me a look before bounding off.

And that was good to know. The Canadian gal and I had been talking about getting married for a while. We’d casually introduced the idea to our children, over the previous months, to get a sense of what they were thinking and they all seemed on board.

However, we’d never discussed dates and I wasn’t not sure what she had in mind.  Due to some things going on in her life I’d assumed it would be after the new year.  Certainly after October.  I was a fan of as close to October as possible -- after all, it was several months closer than “after the new year.”

During one of our conversations The Canadian Gal suggested that waiting for October wasn’t really a concern.

So we had that.

And then of course the do-you-think-my-mother-should-get-married-again conversation.

And so it was I gave The Canadian Gal a call from my home in Ohio, my most recent trip to the Great White North just a day or two in the past. We talked for a couple of minutes and she said, “My youngest is eager to talk with you.” This wasn’t a surprise, I typically talked with a child or two whenever I called.

“Put her on,” I said.

And the youngest said, “Are you calling to ask my mother an important question?”

“What kind of important question?”

“You know the kind of important question I’m talking about.”

“I don’t know,” I said, “let me speak to her for a moment.”

The phone was passed back and I paused for a second. “Would you like to marry me?” I asked.

She didn’t pause at all.

She laughed.

(And I’ll have more on this later.)

 

2 comments: